INGREDIENTS – CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- 4 ounces (120 grams) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup (28 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
- 1 cup (240 ml) boiling water
- 2 1/4 cups (315 grams) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS – CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter, or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray, and line with parchment paper, two 9 x 2 inch deep (23 x 5 cm) round baking pans. Set aside.
- In a stainless steel or heatproof bowl place the chopped unsweetened chocolate and cocoa powder. Pour the boiling water over the chocolate and cocoa powder and stir until they have melted. Set aside to cool while you make the batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk to combine, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy (this will take about 3-5 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and melted chocolate mixture and beat to combine.
- Add the milk and flour mixtures in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat only until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake for about 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Butter or lightly spray a wire rack with Pam before inverting the cakes onto the rack to prevent the cakes from sticking. Cool the cakes completely before frosting.
INGREDIENTS – FROSTING:
- 5 ounces (140 grams) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 4 cups (1 pound) (454 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted to remove lumps
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS – FROSTING:
Melt the chopped chocolate in a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool. Then place the melted chocolate, milk, confectioners sugar, salt, and vanilla extract in the bowl of your electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. (Alternatively, you can use a hand mixer.) Add the pieces of softened butter and beat on low speed for about 2 minutes.
When the frosting starts to come together increase the speed to medium and beat for about 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the speed to high and beat the frosting for 1 – 2 minutes more or until it is of spreading consistency. If necessary, add more milk or sugar.
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:
Place one layer of cake, top side down, on your serving plate and cover with a layer of frosting. Then place the second layer of cake, top side down, onto the first cake layer and then frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting. Can garnish with fresh fruit or shaved chocolate.
Serves 8 – 10 people.
- 1 c. pecans
- 1 c. flour
- 1 stick butter
- 1 box vanilla pudding
- 1 box chocolate pudding
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 c. Cool Whip
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 Hershey chocolate bar
- Chop pecans. Mix flour and butter. Press in pan. Brown 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely.
- Mix cream cheese, Cool Whip and powdered sugar and spread over crust. Then put chocolate pudding layer then vanilla pudding layer on the chocolate pudding.
- Top with Cool Whip. and sprinkle chocolate bar shavings on top.
That’s it, serve it up!